Metabolomics Advanced Training and International Exchange Program (MATRIX) is a collaborative training program supported by Collaborative Research and Training Experience (CREATE) from the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC). MATRIX provides leading-edge training in metabolomics, an exciting and rapidly expanding area of research.
What is Metabolomics?
Metabolomics is the simultaneous measurement of an as-yet unquantified number of individual metabolites, using a combination of biochemistry, mass spectrometry (MS), nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) and computer science (data processing, statistics, and network mapping).
Why train with MATRIX?
1) Metabolism has a MAJOR and underappreciated influence on biological functions, including growth and differentiation, epigenetics, bioenergetics and cell death.
2) NOT ALL of the important metabolic pathways have been discovered.
3) The range of metabolites that can be unambiguously defined is NOT restricted to those that can be easily assayed by simpler approaches.
4) Like all `omics’ fields, metabolomics comes with a truly unique set of theoretical and practical challenges.
5) The national and global market for metabolomics researchers is rapidly expanding.